Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A running first

Last night after work, I got out for a three-mile run at race pace. That's a 10:00 mile for me, at least right now. That's the best time I got to last year and it felt comfortable. I'll be in training longer this year, so it is possible I could become a little faster or build more stamina for a longer haul at last years' pace.

As I was going, I was breathing very loudly. I'm a loud breather when I run until I settle into a long run, which wasn't going to happen last night for three miles. Three miles is considered a short run.

So there I am huffing and puffing. On my route are several predictable spots that always have a cloud of gnats. As I closed my mouth and ran through, I wondered laughingly how many I've accidentally consumed without realizing it.

Not four minutes later, I got my first bug. Stunned, I tried to yak it up by making that horrible noise big brothers make on long car trips to gross out little sisters. What that managed to do (and cover your ears now if you're squeamish) is pull the nasty little bug into two pieces.

I spit out a huge piece of bug and tasted bitter black licorice. Thoroughly disgusted, I tried and tried to get what I could still feel out of my throat. I suppose it's possible I had spit out the entire bug at once and was just left with creeped-out sensations. I coughed and spit and coughed and spit until I almost made myself sick.

I'm proud to say I kept running the entire time.

Aren't you glad you tuned in? Come on back and I won't gross you out next time.

Have a good day.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

hey..it was protein...lol

Caron said...

I tried to tell myself that. It tasted like licorice, though. Hard to imagine a pork chop just then, but I tried.