Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hot enough for ya?

Yes, I ran yesterday.

I've been asked several times today if I ran yesterday in this heat. It's in the upper 90s with a heat advisory and a heat index in the 100s until Tuesday or Wednesday. And if you are brave and look at the extended forecast, you will see that the high temperatures are going to continue for quite some time.

I genuinely appreciate that people ask me this even if they are secretly using it as a gauge for how stupid I am!

After drinking a lot of water, bringing water with me, walking if I needed to and stopping at the water stops, I ran a little over seven miles Saturday. A few years ago, when I did this the first time, I went outside no matter how hot it was. I knew all about drinking lots of water.

But that was about it. I didn't know how it all works together to benefit me in the end. I didn't and still don't understand people who think slowing down or walking is a sign of weakness, but OK. As for me, I'd rather be weak than have a heat stroke.

No joke.

These days I am sure to hydrate, take it easy and go slowly. What option do I have? I have to train and I'm certain Mother Nature doesn't give a hang how many miles I have to run when she's throwing a temper tantrum.

What I know now is that for all the training in the heat, your body does acclimate and learns how to cope with what you're doing. I also know that 102 degrees body temperature is dangerous and there's very little daylight squeaking through your body temps on a hot day from race prep (average 99) to heat-related trouble (102).

The most important thing I remind myself as the temperatures climb is that in September and October, when I am cold waiting for the races to begin, my body is delighted to be in anything other than a sauna and when I start running, my feet go faster.

I'll be brief this evening because I'm tired and I have to get up early to run tomorrow. Darned if I can wait until 7pm, when it's ten degrees warmer than it will be tomorrow morning. Ugh.

4 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

My husband went race walking this morning..in the 90's and he's in his 60's...Me..I clean the bird baths and sweated some butter stick or maybe a teaspoon or so....

Caron said...

Hey! Butter melts!

I think it's great that he race walks. I know it's been hot there, though. I think it's getting hotter. I've taken a little break this week myself.

Rose said...

It is 102ยบ here today...hope you have cooler temps than this.

Caron said...

I don't think we've topped 100 more than once. I could be wrong. My brain is a little well-done these days.