Saturday, June 18, 2011

What happens with a little bit of faith in yourself

A couple days ago, I ran those hills and I felt pretty accomplished for doing it. Not only did I tackle some big hills, I did it well. Today I feel pretty accomplished again.

After waking at 0300 and lying awake for hours, I feel asleep just after 0600. I was supposed to get up at 0615 to join a local running group. I've never met these people before, I was sleepy, I was late and more than anything else, after these four years...I have not run with a training group before.

So I raced down the road (at the speed limit, naturally) and got to the Panera in Centerville, Ohio 2 minutes before the group took off.

I took a deep breath and joined the group. I loved it! I had a good time and the people were really nice. Two people stayed with me and I didn't get lost. That's all I really wanted: a long run with a group that knew where they were going. I also got nice people. Bonus!

But I don't mind admitting I was a little nervous. It would have been easy to skip it.

But that's something running does for you. It sets you up to prove something and then lets you prove it. It doesn't matter if you run for 6 minutes or 60 minutes. It's really amazing what your body will do, over time, if you simply let it.

Then when I got home this morning, I went back to the Peak4Poverty newsletter and read again the story of 22 year-old Mohamed Said, who lives in Tanzania. He participates in Peak4Poverty's education program. Against some pretty steep odds, he is going to graduate next year with a teaching degree.

I certainly hope Mohamed feels a strong sense of accomplishment. There's something about getting a degree and running a long-distance race (which is what I'm training for) that requires a leap of faith. When you cross the finish line, you've accomplished something that can never be diminished or taken away from you. Sure, other challenges await. But each time your brain, just like your body, can do amazing things if you simply let it.

Go get 'em, Mohamed!

2 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

I'm glad that the people were nice. My husband hikes and power walks with a friend..I call her my sister wife because she is the active person I used to be...now that sounded down, but I didn't mean it that way...

Caron said...

No! I know you well enough to know what you meant!

You know, many running groups are pretty snobby. Even the groups that don't try to be snobby can be so used to their routine that they don't make sure a new runner (to the group) knows who to run with or what to expect. I will run with this group again and wish I had found them earlier this year.