Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's almost over, can you believe it?



This has been a rewarding experience for me. I'm so grateful to everyone who donated money and supported me in my running as well.

This has been a learning year for me as a runner and I've become hooked on the run/walk/run. I ran three miles yesterday morning with a running partner - the running club is new to me. This morning I ran 5-miles with her as a group of my friends gathered for a race this morning.

This was the first race I've done the 4 minutes running and 1 minute walking for time (as opposed to running for the finish as I did with the half marathon). My time was great! I finished the five miles in 50 minutes and 54 seconds (50:54), which is just seconds over a 10-minute pace. That means I ran really hard during the 4-minute segments.

But this project of mine has been about far more than running. This has been about some kids in Tanzania who have been affected by AIDS and are living in orphanages.

In a study done in 2002 of 41 orphans in Tanzania, 34% had contemplated suicide in the previous 12 months. They go to bed hungry, the basic needs are unmet, and they internalize problems, which can lead to mental health problems. Education is one route for employment that doesn't need to be bolstered by unprotected sexual activity in exchange for money. Education increases a child's opportunities in many areas and may help to keep them out of the hands of people who want them to fight wars as child soldiers, vulnerable to every risk imaginable.

I am only a small amount short of my goal. This has been rewarding. Thank you for being a part of it.


4 comments:

Sedita Aksamovic said...

I am so proud to have a best friend like you.....

Lauren said...

wait I didn't know about the fundraising part, you should've been more bold and mentioned it a lot :)

Caron said...

Wow, you guys! Thanks, Sedita. Thank you, Lauren. I guess you're right. I talked about it a lot more at first and then I didn't for quite awhile.
:(

Rambling Woods said...

I too am proud to have a friend like you...wish you lived closer...It breaks my heart to read of children who think that death is better...oh heck, we have to do a better job taking care of humanity than we do...