Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A donation, a heat wave and three miles


This is me and Cindy. Cindy has been at finish lines letting me cry and getting me to massage tables, at start lines telling me how wonderful I am going to perform and taking photos and at sidelines catching discarded laundry and feeding me bananas to help me keep going strong. When I started running, she thought it was a marvelous idea. At least ... that's what she said. ;)
--------------------------------------------------
Due to some traveling and a sinus condition, I didn't get last week's final 11 miles under my belt.

[humbling]

Knowing the heat today was going to be intense, I got myself out of bed this morning by reminding Self that there were other runners already outside on the road and that when I saw them, I was going to be sorry I didn't join them. That did the trick and I got 3.62 miles in before work.

It was hot, humid and horrible!

Running in the heat and humidity is nothing compared to living a life in which I might be exploited and harmed. I really did think about the Tanzanian orphans this morning as I slogged through the thick air and it helped me put things in perspective.

Speaking of humbling: what a perspective it was!

I received a public education at the expense of my fellow taxpayers. I went to community colleges while I worked. I entered a state university and received a Bachelor's Degree.

I never considered a moment when someone might force me to carry a gun and kill or be killed. I never considered a time when I might be forced to do hard labor without pay, housing or food. I've never been at such a risk and I like the idea that with these donations, the children we're helping will have tools to rise above their risk.

Your donation helps make the world's risks less frightening for a child so far away. Thank you to Cindy for her recent donation. I'm very proud to call her my friend. I feel the benefits of our friendship over these last 15+ years have all been made out to my side of the relationship because she's such a good friend. She is also one of my best encouragers in this life!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

You go girl...it's amazing..I am having trouble making comments because of the comments setting. You might want to change it from the default of embedded to pop-up...Michelle

Caron said...

You got it, Michelle. I asked the administrator to made the comments pop-up. They should work better now.

Rose said...

I am so glad you have the pop-up comment form...I have just spent a few minutes catching up here. What a great friend Cindy must be for you...an encouraging friend is the best.

Anyway, I don't think most of us in America realize how blessed we are. We never fear bombs or incoming rockets...and there is almost always some form of help if someone needs it.

Rose said...

I forgot to say that I am not about to stop my therapy...it kind of went by the wayside while my oldest daughter was here two or three days, but I have a long, long way to go before I am normal....and I do want to be normal again. This has been limiting my life long enough!

Caron said...

Rose, I'm so glad you have a great attitude about it. I know as much as I like doing my PT, it does take a chunk of time to get it finished. Thanks for coming by and leaving comments. I'm always so glad to see you.