Sunday, June 12, 2011

Long run cut short and another donation!

Who tells me how far to run?
I'm working off the marathon training schedule I got from the IMT Des Moines Marathon Running Club. If you are a runner or a walker, you should consider the club. It's just getting started and it's going to be a good place for everyone.

If you are new to running or distance walking, this club will be a safe place to learn. With clinics and supported events, you'll be reaching your goals in no time. Go to the Marathon's web site for more information on the Running Club. You'll be glad you did.

Long Run Cut Short
What made me decide to run the marathon plan when I'm doing two half marathons this year? I guess I got started early and by the time I got to week one, I was already running more mileage than the plan. I think another reason is because (and yes, we've covered this) I have a streak of stubbornness in me. I thought it sounded like an adventure.

But it finally caught up to me. I've done 8 mile runs before and this weekend's run was a 9-mile run. Not a big deal: I can hear you saying that.

But it's either my shoes and/or my PT is beginning to work and is causing changes in the way I run. The screaming pain from my knees, along my calves and into my ankles is getting a little annoying. I actually had to stop a couple times and rub my legs. As if that helped. I bend over and rub my own calves. It's a little hard to get a grip or do anything except bend over and look stupid.

Give it a try. I'll wait. [taps foot]

Feel better? No. You know you don't. It's not an effective angle.

Speaking of stupid, now that my runs are getting longer I just have to find some other routes. My habit so far this year has been to loop and loop and loop until all the neighborhood knows who I am. Even I'm now sick to death of seeing myself pass the same houses five times on the same day. At any rate, I gave myself permission to run anything more than 6 miles. I ran 7. I guess that's going to have to suffice.

I'll be calling my physical therapist tomorrow for answers. Oh and while I'm here, let me tell you that the house across the street from the St. Bernard/Great Dane mix has a full-on St. Bernard (I think we can all imagine either very friendly neighbors or really angry neighbors, depending on how that played out) who saw me and threw a fit. His owner stood in the driveway and clapped her hands. She said, "Come on now, settle down" while I threw the dog a murderous look that had zero effect. I neither smiled, laughed, nor spoke. I wanted to smack her.

For those of you new to me, let me assure you I love dogs. They hate runners. Last week a man walking a freakishly large German Shepherd laughed when I said thank you for steering clear of me and said, "They all think runners are prey." I like that. So true. Also, last year I saw a Pomeranian hit by a UPS truck because the owner was so sure the dog wouldn't take off after me. He lost that bet, but thank goodness the dog was fine. We even made up a couple weeks ago.

A Donation! A Thank You!
Here it is a long post and I haven't yet thanked my recent donor. Pastor Jeff and his wife Marie have made a donation to my efforts and I can't thank them enough. But I'm going to try. There will be a little something delivered to his office to thank them. He's a heck of a guy. He's our interim pastor and if any of you have gone through a church split and/or a pastor search (we've got both), then you might understand that he has to be a heck of a guy to put up with us! Thank you for your generosity to me, my cause and our congregation! Thank you Jeff and Marie!

3 comments:

Heather said...

LOL Caron..I secretly worry a snarling dog will think I'm prey too.. and down we will all go.. a tumbling blur of blood, fur and iPod!

Rose said...

I love dogs...our old dog would not normally even notice a cat if it was sitting still or just ambling around her...but if it ran, she was going to be after it. I don't think all dogs are that way about people, but I would assume some are...so it is no wonder they make you just a bit nervous.

Rambling Woods said...

Nice that people are supporting you.... usually I dislike athletic people on general terms..as in I never was one..but I really like you Caron.. you are my kind of girl..